Paris in Summer in 10 Photos

 

The image of Paris (c) A. Harrison
 

Ah, Paris in summer. A magical city at any time of the year. Under the summer sun even the streets sparkle. I wandered in long twilights filled with golden light, when the whole city seemed to be out enjoying the evening air.


A statue in the Tuileries (c) A. Harrison

The Tuileries

 

In winter these gardens near the Louvre have a mystery all their own, with the fountains playing amongst bare trees, and the occasional chair pulled to catch the watery sunlight. In summer, the place was awash with green. The statues felt almost alive under the heat of the sun, and the colours of the marble against the green is spectacular. The sound of fountains adds a cooling touch. Couples sat in the shade of the trees as kids ran through the park or floated boats on the various ponds.

The Louvre (c) A. Harrison


Take A River Cruise

 

Some years ago, I took a Seine river cruise one afternoon in the late autumn. Dusk fell as the boat toured the Seine – a magical way to see the city as the evening air nipped my ears. This time, I took same cruise, only setting off after a late dinner and sailing into the twilight. The city skyline glowed under the caress of the setting sun, and at 10pm the Eiffel tower erupted in a sparkle of light.

 

Views from a cruise (c) A. Harrison


The Île de la Cité 

 

The Île de la Cité is the heart of Paris. Now it was awash with blooms, from Notre Dame to the side streets. Some flower markets are hidden near the Notre Dame – the smell alone is worth the visit. Then take a short stroll to the Sainte ChapelleOnce home to the Crown of Thorns, this chapel is a medieval wonder of stained glass. Visit early in the morning to avoid the crowds, or else at sunset when the chapel is said to be at its most spectacular.

 

Blooms in front of Notre Dame (c) A. Harrison

Simply Wander

 

I've always loved to simply wander the streets to feel the life and history of a place. Coming to Paris in summer, on my first day I simply walked and walked, ever encouraged by side streets calling me to explore. In between window shopping I came across a small food market, never to be found again).By the time I finally returned to my hotel, I'd worn out the sole of my shoes - a good excuse to go shopping in Paris!

An enclosed gallery, Paris (c) A. Harrison

The Simple Pleasures

Paris is for people watching, and in summer this is so easily done by simply sitting outside in a cafe, and watching the world go by. Oh, and maybe try a cake or two. Plus a glass of local wine.

C'est Paris.




If you enjoy my writing, please visit my blog Wise Beings Read Here, where (if you feel like contributing to my coffers) you can also buy my photos and ebooks. Thank you!

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Some Reasons I Love Coffee

Six Reasons To Visit Kyoto - A Photo Essay