Not-So Hidden Corners in Italy


Not-So Hidden Corners in Italy




Of course I start with Florence, the city I fell in love with when I was ten. Wandering towards the Arno, I was so busy looking at all the sights it was easy to miss this spectacular fountain on the corner of a house.





Not-So Hidden Corners in Italy


This crumbling archway in Venice is but a few minutes from the Grand Canal and its grand procession of gondolas. I simply had to walk up the side street to be surrounded by tourists, but here, in a small alley, I stood in the Venice of centuries past.


Not-So Hidden Corners in Italy


A major trading port not far from Florence or Pisa, Livorno is built for wandering, especially the old area known as Little Venice. (Europe has a lot of Little Venices.) I did wonder about the tale behind this forgotten bike.


Not-So Hidden Corners in Italy


Naples is full of amazing gems, and even in the height of summer was impressively free of tourists. I don't even know the name of this forgotten church. It stands, forgotten, on a corner out of the more visited area, unmarked on my map or any guide book I looked at. Unfortunately it was closed, and looked like it had been for centuries.


Not-So Hidden Corners in Italy

Ah, Assisi. An oasis of peace in the chaos of travel. Every time I look at my potted geraniums at home, they take me straight back to the town of St Francis.


Not-So Hidden Corners in Italy

I caught a slow train from Pietrasanta to Lucca on a hot and sultry day, and fell in love with her alleyways and gracious walks on the city walls. I wasn't expecting to find a tower on a street corner complete with trees growing on the roof.

Not-So Hidden Corners in Italy



And so back to Florence, and one of my favourite photos. How can I not love a place with such a street corner?


Like my photos? - if you feel like contributing to my coffers, please click the link to buy my photos from the micro-stock site 123RF. Cheers! 
Otherwise, please click the link if you are inspired to travel, or simply looking for ideas or advice.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Paris in Summer in 10 Photos

Some Reasons I Love Coffee

Six Reasons To Visit Kyoto - A Photo Essay