anneharrison.com.au

I found Prague's famous astronomical clock impossible to photograph. There is simply so much to take in, which I couldn't collect into one photograph.

anneharrison.com.au

Every hour, starting at 9 am and continuing until 11pm, a parade of characters move above the clock, peering out to world as they pass a small window. To one side a rooster crows and flaps his wings as a skeleton rings a bell. Unfortunately, it's all over in some 30 seconds, until the next hour strikes....

anneharrison.com.au

 I was lucky, for our guide had found us a perfect place to stand. The Old Town Square is perennially crowded, no more so than when the hour approaches. The only time I saw the square empty was on an early morning walk as I set out to photograph Charles Bridge before all the tourists arrived. Perhaps because it was 3 degrees C the square was almost empty.

anneharrison.com.au

Installed in 1410, Prague's clock is the third oldest such clock in the world, and the oldest astronomical clock which still functions. The dials show a stationary Earth, around which rotate the sun, moon, and the signs of the Zodaic. Below is a calendar; within are the twelve months, while the outer rim displays a church calendar.
anneharrison.com.au

I shall simply have to return to Prague another time, and keep working on my photos....


Like my photos? - if you feel like contributing to my coffers, please click the link to buy my photos from my blog (still a work in progress, more photos to come) or else from the micro-stock sites 123RF or Shutterstock

Comments

  1. How beautiful, and I love all the detail you've managed to capture despite the crowds.. I never noticed all those smaller elements and statues before.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Dee - having a telephoto lens really helps to spot things!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Paris in Summer in 10 Photos

Some Reasons I Love Coffee

Six Reasons To Visit Kyoto - A Photo Essay